The CM method starts with the Owner hiring a construction manager early on in the process to provide pre-construction services working with the architect and/or engineer to establish the project program, constructability, schedule, and establish benchmark budgets in a collaborative team environment. Because the project may not be fully designed when construction begins, the CM typically provides construction services on a cost-plus-fee basis, sometimes including a Guaranteed Maximum Price (GMP). The Owner holds a separate contract with the architect and/or engineer.
- Contractor has input during design for constructability & budget analysis
- Owner inclusion in bid process & selection of subcontractors
- Scope clearly defined during design
- Cost and schedule guaranteed
- Single point of responsibility for construction
- Design and Construction can overlap to accelerate project delivery